[R] What has happened to the R-Help Google Groups Archive? Alternative?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Jun 23 08:39:32 CEST 2009

Tony Breyal wrote:

> Is there an alternative website which uses a similar structure to
> google groups? I had a quick browse on the R Wiki
> (http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=links:links) but didn't
> see a page with this sort of info.

For reading and searching, nothing beats markmail

http://r-project.markmail.org/

but posting is not possible. I have been using gmane almost exclusively, but
it's servers are overloaded and posting fails half the time. Nabble is a
good alternative, posting works much better because it does not complain
about "more than 80 characters in a line"; however, the tree is inferior to
gmane because it is collapsed in the overview and you cannot see who has
responded to a thread.

Dieter