[R] Spatial Statistics on Grids

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 20:33:02 CEST 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Peter Biber wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> Actually, I googled quite some time before posting my question. I'm
> also
> aware, that there are many packages for spatial data analysis.
> However, I
> found no hint if any of them contains methods for characterizing
> (and I
> don't mean just plotting) the distribution (e.g. pure random,
> clustered,
> regular) of grid cells (not point data) with R.
>
> I someone out there has used R for similar tasks, I still would
> appreciate
> his/her hints/comments.

I still cannot tell what sort of methods you have considered and
rejected. I would have thought that any process examined on a computer
would be done on a "regular grid". Points are an abstract concept,
grids are the implemented reality. I would have thought that notions
of 2D density, which are undoubtedly present in every introductory
source regarding spatial analysis, would be the obvious first pass at
answering your question. Apparently you are not looking for density
estimates?

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT