[R] Rscript segfaults with lazy loading

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 24 04:01:50 CEST 2009

Gad,

On 24 June 2009 at 11:43, Gad Abraham wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have an RData file containing a GeneSetCollection object
| (Bioconductor), http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gabraham/c2.RData. I think it
| uses lazy loading because packages are only loaded when I access the
| object (see below) in the R console.
|
| When I try the same with Rscript, it segfaults. This happens on 2.9.0
| both on Linux and Mac:
|
| Rscript -e 'load("c2.RData"); c2[1]'
|
|   *** caught segfault ***
| address (nil), cause 'memory not mapped'
|
| Traceback:
|   1: c2[1]
| aborting ...
| Segmentation fault (core dumped)
|

| Is this a bug?

I'd say so. The alternative R scripting tool -- r aka littler -- is fine, but
complains that I don't have the corresponding BioC packages:

edd at ron:/tmp$ wget http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gabraham/c2.RData
[...]
edd at ron:/tmp$ r -e'load("c2.RData"); print(c2[1])'
[[1]]
<S4 object of class "GeneSet">

edd at ron:/tmp$ r -e'load("c2.RData"); print(str(c2));'
Error in .requirePackage(package) :
  unable to find required package "GSEABase"
In addition: Warning message:
In library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE,  :
  there is no package called 'GSEABase'
edd at ron:/tmp$

r is e.g. at http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/littler.html

Dirk