[R] nlme package - unbalanced data and Croissant (2008)

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Wed Jun 24 13:07:16 CEST 2009

Dear Anthony:

please please! I didn't say 'nlme' "[does] not produce sensible / accurate results", nor did I ever mean it.

The sentence you quote is an unfortunate mistake on my part, and like most unfortunate mistakes it first went unnoticed and then ended up in a most visible part of the paper. I originally meant to say that 'nlme' doesn't want missing values, and ended up saying that it doesn't accept unbalanced panels, which is false but is also different from saying that it produces inaccurate results. Besides, in the remainder of the paper we use (and acknowledge) a lot of functionality from 'nlme' on unbalanced panels as well (e.g. the Baltagi and Li test).

For the reasons why there is a 'plm' package (simple models, semiparametric methods, LS-GLS based, sampling problems typical of econometrics) next to 'nlme' (more complex specifications possible, parametric, ML-based) please see section 7 of the same paper.

For an example of how an econometrician may misunderstand mixed models, well I think I just gave you one. I knew I was stepping into a minefield as I spoke of other people's work but I still consider this better than keeping panel data econometricians and mixed models statisticians on two separate tracks, ignoring all the functionality that was "on the other side".

My apologies to the authors of 'nlme' (and 'lme4' as well). I owe you a beer, payable at the useR! in two weeks if you like.

Best,
Giovanni