[R] distinguish regression lines in grouped, black and white lattice xyplot

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Wed Jun 24 23:17:50 CEST 2009

Perhaps what you do should depend on what you want to see.  If all the lines
lie near one another that says one thing.  If all but one or two "agree" but
the mavericks are in obvious disagreement, then that begs to ask "why?"  If
the entire lot looks like spaghetti, then that is informative also.  So
plotting all on one grid isn't of itself bad.  That depends on what you are
trying to do.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On
Behalf Of Katharina May
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:05 PM
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] distinguish regression lines in grouped,black and white
lattice xyplot

That's a point. I justed wanted to provide an overview for myself to
see the tendencies in a direct comparement
and with an easy way to distinct them, but maybe the text panel can
help me with that...

Well anyway, is it right that a grouped black and white plot can
contain a maxinum of 8 distinguishable  lines or might
there be a way to increase that?
I know some graphics from papers containing lines with equally
distance points on the lines (one type of point per line)
as a form of distinction. Can this be realised using grouped lattice
plots with regression lines?

2009/6/24 Bert Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com>:
> Don't be silly. They can't be made "distinguishable" by any number of line
> types and/or colors. The brain can't keep that many different symbol
> representations straight. Referring back and forth to a legend is also
> similarly useless. You need to think more creatively about how to make a
> more meaningful display to provide viewers interpretable information.
>
> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

On
> Behalf Of Katharina May
> Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:28 PM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] distinguish regression lines in grouped,black and white
lattice
> xyplot
>
> Hi,
>
> I've got the following problem which I cannot think of a solution right
now:

> if got a lattice xyplot in black and white and a grouping variable
> with many (more than 8
> values) and I plot it as regression lines (type="r"), just like this
> one (not reproducable but that's
> I guess not the point here):
>
> xyplot(log(AGWB) ~ log(BM_roots), data=sub_agwb_data, groups=species,
> type="r", lty=c(1:6),panel=allo.panel.5)
>
> The problem is that I've got 26 different values for the grouping
> variable species and only 6 default values for the line type
> lty (and according to the par {graphics} help page customizable to up
> to 8 different line types).
>
> Does anybody have any idea how these 26 different lines can be made
> distinguishable from each other without the use
> of colors?
>
> Thanks,
>
>         Katharina

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.