[R] Memory issues on a 64-bit debian system (quantreg)

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 24 23:28:13 CEST 2009

Jonathan,

Take a look at the output of sessionInfo(), it should say x86-64 if
you have a 64bit installation, or at least I think this is the case.

Regarding rqss(),  my experience is that (usually) memory problems are
due to the fact that early on the processing there is
a call to model.matrix()  which is supposed to create a design, aka X,
matrix  for the problem.  This matrix is then coerced to
matrix.csr sparse format, but the dense form is often too big for the
machine to cope with.  Ideally, someone would write an
R version of model.matrix that would permit building the matrix in
sparse form from the get-go, but this is a non-trivial task.
(Or at least so it appeared to me when I looked into it a few years
ago.)  An option is to roll your own X matrix:  take a smalller
version of the data, apply the formula, look at the structure of X and
then try to make a sparse version of the full X matrix.
This is usually not that difficult, but "usually" is based on a rather
small sample that may not be representative of your problems.

Hope that this helps,

Roger

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801