[R] parallel R?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 26 17:05:13 CEST 2009

On 26 June 2009 at 07:40, Michael wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| Lots of big IT companies are renting out their computing facilities.
| Amazon has one such service. In my understanding, this will
| dramatically improve the speed of my R program -- currently the cross
| validation and model selection part is the bottle neck. It take a few
| days to just finish optimal parameter tuning via CV.
|
| Could anybody shed some lights on this? Is it completely transparent
| to move my R program to a rented parallel computing facility?
|
| Moreover, at my PC level, I have a 4-core PC, is there anything we
| could do in R to speed up my CV programs?

Try this link:   http://lmgtfy.com/?q=parallel+computing+with+R

A survey paper on parallel computing with R by Schmidberger et al will be
fortcoming shortly in Journal of Statistical Software -- that is at
http://jstatsoft.org and a Google query will lead to preprints.

Also note that R has a support site network called 'CRAN' which contains so
called 'Task Views'. Amnong these you may find this one of interest:

   http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

As to your initial question:  yes, people do use R on the Amazon service.

Dirk