[R] parallel R?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Jun 26 18:22:30 CEST 2009

losemind wrote:

> Moreover, at my PC level, I have a 4-core PC, is there anything we
> could do in R to speed up my CV programs?

I have seen one very nice paper that compared parallelization options for R:

http://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/8991/

losemind wrote:

> we have to rewrite the whole R programs?

I would like to disclaim that I haven't had the time to parallelize any of
my R scripts. That being said, I noticed that many of the packages above
implement parallelized versions of the apply() functions. Maybe taking
advantage of apply wherever possible is a way to ensure you can get some
benefit from parallelization without rewriting large portions of code.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen