[R] multiple regression w/ no intercept; strange results

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sun Jun 28 10:38:25 CEST 2009

I am writing some software to do multiple regression and am using r to
benchmark the results.  The results are squaring up nicely for the
"with-intercept" case but not for the "no-intercept" case.  I am not
sure what R is doing to get the statistics for the 0 intercept case.
 It seems odd to me that dropping the intercept
would cause the R^2 and F stats to rise so dramatically, and the p
value to consequently drop so much.  In my implementation, I get the
same beta1 and beta2, and the R2 I compute using the

Removing the intercept can harm your sanity. See

http://markmail.org/message/q67jf7uaig7d4tkm

for an example.

Dieter