[R] (performance) time in Windows vs Linux

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Mon Jun 29 10:12:42 CEST 2009

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the clarification -- the first part does set the record
straight about what I thought about R.  I would expect a program to run
on a single core by default unless something specifically (and somewhat
non-trivial) was done to it.

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> If you want to check if R is running on more than one core, then
>> obviously R should appear more than once and with two different values
>> under CPU.
>
> Not so: that will happen if multiple copies of R are running, not if a
> single copy of R is running multiple threads.

Ah, yes, you are right -- there is a big difference.  The former works
for both multiple copies of R or a single program [purposely not saying
"R" here to keep it general] running on multiple cores [distributed
memory parallelization].  It doesn't work for multiple threads, though.

(As an aside for anyone else interested, my Debian distribution has the
package "r-cran-rmpi", which is described as the "GNU R package
interfacing MPI libraries"...so that seems to be another way to use
multiple cores, though I have never used it...)

Ray