[R] Memory issues with 'aov' function

loxx0076 at umn.edu loxx0076 at umn.edu
Mon Jun 29 23:28:39 CEST 2009

I am trying to run an ANOVA with a within/between subjects design.

It is a 2 (within) x 3 x 3 x 5 design with 100 observations per cell.

When I am trying to run this, I get an error message saying that there is
insufficient memory, even after allocating max memory for my machine (4
gig).

We know the code works because we can do it with a smaller cell size.

We can run a similar design that is only between-subjects with many more
observations with no memory issue.

Why does aov have trouble with within-subjects designs when the cell size
gets large?

Is there a way around this other than using another function like lme?