[R] R tools help

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:28:00 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Ajay ohri <ohri2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I ran it . I placed it in C:\Rtools
> it ran for a sec and vanished

Do you mean you placed Rcmd.bat in C:\Rtools?

What you want to do is issue the command PATH from the Windows
console and put it somewhere on the path shown.

I keep a C:\bin directory that I put my executables in and I have that on
my PATH so in my case that's where I put Rcmd.bat .

> Previously I have compiled R source code from command prompt and changed the
> path files already ----- do I need to change the path files back

That won't be a problem with R.  Rcmd.bat temporarily modifies your
path by placing
the correct items ahead of all the others;  however, if you have put
rtools\bin on your path
note that you could be making problems for yourself with other
programs since rtools\bin
includes find.exe whose name conflicts with the native find that comes
with Windows.
This was driving me crazy as some Windows batch scripts would not run
properly until I
finally discovered what was going on.

> my path is this
> c:\rtools\bin

That may be what you added to your path but its unlikely to be your path.  Type:

path

at the windows console to find out what your path is.

> I used this text for reference already and have been doing this for the
> whole weekend now..
> http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/peter.rossi/research/bayes%20book/bayesm/Making%20R%20Packages%20Under%20Windows.pdf

Your main source should be the R Administration and Installation manual
(available on the Help menu from within R) and then you can use other
sources as adjuncts if you wish.  If there are conflicts in the
instructions the
R manual will likely be the one that is correct.