[R] nls does not accept start values

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Mar 2 10:48:33 CET 2009

Thank you

It was simplified version of my problem. I want to elaborate a function
which can take predefined list of formulas, some data and evaluate which
formulas can fit the data. I was inspired by some article in Chemical
engineering in which some guy used excel solver for such task. I was
curious if I can do it in R too. I am not sure if nls is appropriate tool
for such task but I had to start somewhere.

Here is a function which takes list of formulas and data and gives a
result for each formula.

modely <- function(formula, data, ...){
ll <- length(formula)   #no of items in formula list
result2 <- vector("list", ll) #prepare results
result1 <- rep(NA, ll)
for(i in 1:ll) {
fit<-try(nls(formula[[i]], data))
if( class(fit)=="try-error") result1[i] <- NA  else result1[i] <-
sum(resid(fit)^2)
if( class(fit)=="try-error") result2[[i]] <- NA  else result2[[i]] <-
coef(fit)
}

ooo<-order(result1) #order results according to residual sum

#combine results into one list together with functions used

result <- mapply(c, "sq.resid" = result1, result2)
names(result) <- as.character(formula)
# output
result[ooo]
}

# data
x <-1:10
y <-1/(.5-x)+rnorm(10)/100

# list of formulas
fol <- structure(list(a = y ~ 1/(a - x), b = y ~ a * x^2 + b * log(x),
    c = y ~ x^a), .Names = c("a", "b", "c"))

modely(fol, data.frame(x=x, y=y)

does not use "correct" model because when using default start values it
results in

> nls(fol[[1]], data.frame(x=x, y=y))
Error in numericDeriv(form[[3]], names(ind), env) :
  Missing value or an infinity produced when evaluating the model

however

 nls(fol[[1]], data.frame(x=x, y=y), start=list(a=mean(y)))

gives correct result. Therefore I started think about how to add a
"better" starting value for some fits as a second part of my formula list
to define structure like>

list(a= formula1, start.formula1, b=formula2, start.formula2, ....)

I wonder If you can push me to better direction.

Thanks again
Best regards
Petr

Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> napsal dne 02.03.2009
09:41:45:

> Petr PIKAL wrote:
> > Hi to all
> >
> > OK as I did not get any response and I really need some insight I try
> > again with different subject line
> >
> > I have troubles with correct evaluating/structure of nls input
> >
> > Here is an example
> >
> > # data
> > x <-1:10
> > y <-1/(.5-x)+rnorm(10)/100
> >
> > # formula list
> > form <- structure(list(a = list(quote(y ~ 1/(a - x)),
"list(a=mean(y))")),
> >  .Names = "a")
> >
> > # This gives me an error due to not suitable default starting value
> >
> > fit <- nls(form [[1]] [[1]], data.frame(x=x, y=y))
> >
> > # This works and gives me a result
> >
> > fit <- nls(form [[1]] [[1]], data.frame(x=x, y=y),
start=list(a=mean(y)))