[R] density > 1?

Eik Vettorazzi E.Vettorazzi at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Mar 2 13:44:11 CET 2009

Hi Johannes,
ist more a statistical issue. In short: densities are not probabilities!
With a continuous random variable probability statements are typically
over intervals not over points.
A density is bound to have an integral of 1 (and to be non-negative),
nothing else.
Consider the uniform (0,0.5) distribution there the density is f(x)=2
for all 0<=x<=0.5. This is a perfect probability density having all
non-zero values > 1.

hth.