[R] Writing R package and do.call

Rob Foxall rfoxall27 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:46:17 CET 2009

Dear R-Help,

I have written a function, which in simplified format can be represented as:

temp.fn <- function(my.mean,my.sd){
   Parameters <- list(mean = my.mean, sd = my.sd)
   curve(do.call(dnorm,c(list(x), Parameters)), from = my.mean-my.sd,
to = my.mean+my.sd)
}

This works as I want it do. Wishing to immortalise this function into
my very own package however, results in the following warning:
(Running R CMD check myPackage)

* checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
temp.fn: no visible binding for global variable 'x'

Although it doesn't seem to matter, I would feel more comfortable if
there was an alternative way which avoided this warning.
( I can avoid the warning, by pointlessly defining x, e.g. "x <- 1",
but this seems pretty ugly!)

Cheers,
Rob.

> version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          8.1
year           2008
month          12
day            22
svn rev        47281
language       R
version.string R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)