[R] R-help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 08:55:12 CET 2009

So, it seems you are using Windows.  One possibilty is that your
Windows security settings are stopping you displaying CHM help files:
if you have control over these you could try to resolve that.

Another alternative is to change the default type of help used: the
settings for that are in the file etc/Rprofile.site in the R
installation.  If you don't have permission to change that, you could
use e.g.

options(chmhelp=FALSE, htmlhelp=TRUE)

in a .Rprofile file in your home directory.

Finally, R-24~1.1 looks like an old version of R, and you could
install a current version: the installer will ask if you want custom
settings and if you select that, ask you for the default type of help.

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Dr. Alireza Zolfaghari wrote:

> Hi list,
> When I type my question in R console using ? sign (example: ?par, when I
> want to query for par), the following error message popps up:
>
> Error in
> print.help_files_with_topic("C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-24~1.1/library/maps/chm/map") :
>
>        CHM file could not be displayed

That does not seem to be the message that goes with the example.