[R] locfit smoothing question (package maintainer not reachable)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 22:10:42 CET 2009

That is what I thought to be the critical paragraph. The variance is
assumed to be = 1 when you use family="gaussian" rather than the
default of family="qgauss". You give it a vector, 1000*rnorm(100),
that ranges widely and a small (relative) variance is assumed and so
the confidence intervals are plotted as very narrow. This does not
seem surprising given the functions documented design. I have the book
and do not think I even need to pull it off the shelf since the help
pages appear fully informative in this instance. I get an rv of 1 with
the "gaussian" option and an rv of nearly 1000 when the default is used.

--
David Winsemius