[R] spatial markov chain methods

Torsten Lange tlange at gwdg.de
Tue Mar 3 22:18:28 CET 2009

Rolf Turner schrieb:

> On 4/03/2009, at 4:36 AM, Torsten Lange wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> can any one point me to R-packages (if available) which include spatial
>> Markov Chain methods?
>> My second question is more general but hopefully not OT: Currently we
>> are using the software TPROGS, which let people simulate property
>> distributions in space by some Markov Chain approaches. We face some
>> problems due to the lack of information between distances of samples
>> along borehole path and among boreholes. Is there any way to "trick" it
>> like for instants in variogram modeling were one might use nested
>> variograms...?
>
> The spatstat package has facilities for simulating (non-Poisson) spatial
> point processes vi MCMC (Metropolis-Hastings) methods.  But it's probably
> not point patterns that you're after.
>
>     cheers,
>
>         Rolf Turner

Thanks Rolf! To be more specific I'm a novice to MC method. However, I
don't look on point processes but on spatial auto-correlation of certain
types of soils or sediments in 3D - parameterization for geoscientific
applications like hydrogeology... We created the MC transiograms for
soil classes in vertical and horizontal directions. Problems arise due
to the observation gap between sampling density in vertical (very high
along borehole) and horizontal direction (much lower because of
distances among boreholes).

Thank you for any hints,
Torsten