[R] How to generate fake population (ie. not sample) data?

CB cb.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:04:41 CET 2009

My understanding is that rnorm(n, x, s) will give me an n-sized sample
from an (x, s) normal distribution. So the vector returned will have a
mean from the sampling distribution of the mean. But what I want is a
set of n numbers literally with a mean of x and sd of s.

I am at the very beginning of my R journey, so my apologies if this is
a particularly naive enquiry.