[R] Descriptive stats for factors in SEM

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 4 14:03:36 CET 2009

Dear Sebastian,

What you're looking for are factor-score coefficients, which would allow you
to estimate the values of the factors from the observed variables. Then,
given the original dataset from which the input-covariance matrix to sem()
was computed, you could find the factor scores. The sem packages doesn't
provide factor-score coefficients, but this is a reasonable request, and
I'll add it to my to-do list. I can't promise when I'll get this done.

I'm not sure why you want the means, standard deviations, and correlations
of the latent variables. In most models, the means will be 0. You could
figure out the covariance matrix of the latent variables; sem()doesn't
provide that either.

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor