[R] Inefficiency of SAS Programming

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Wed Mar 4 16:55:13 CET 2009

Dear Ajay,

just to deny the implicit statement 'corporate user'='moron' surfacing
here and there in this interesting thread :^). This might be a
statistical regularity but should by no means be considered a theorem,
as there are counter-examples available. You can find people willing to
learn both languages, appreciate the difference between them and use
each where it is particularly strong even in corporations and burosaurs
of any kind.

IMVHO, acceptance of R in the corporate world has little to do with
syntax and much with legacies, (discharge of-) responsibilities and the
distance between the decision maker/buyer and those who are actually
working with the SW. Else, assuming that 'corporate users' are not at a
significant cerebral disadvantage (which I like to), the penetration of
R in education, small and large companies should be the same, which I'm
afraid is not.

So I believe it boils down to industrial organization and the open
source vs. commercial development model, rather than to some kind of
(more or less appropriate) function rebranding. It is the *difference*
in syntax w.r.t. SAS that prompted the shift to R, in my case at least.
It was its ease and 'cleanliness' of installation (no registry entries,
no access to forbidden directories required) which allowed me to
experiment with it without having to mess with the IT Dept. (which would
probably have put an end to my quest). It was its open source nature
that allowed me to install it anywhere I liked to.

My 2 Euro-Cents
Giovanni

Disclaimer: just thinking of the Proc Step gives me shivers; yet I
recognize SAS is fast and powerful. I could understand somebody wanting
to execute SAS through R syntax, but the opposite is beyond my grasp.

Message: 72