[R] including tabular information with a plot in R Graphics

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 5 14:53:34 CET 2009

R User R User wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a presentation problem that I cannot find a solution to in the
> documetnation.
> I have a nice barplot. Below this I would also like a table with some
> information relating to the plot.
> My idea was to have the plot and table on the same graphics window so I can
> output them as an image file for a report.
>
> Does anybody know how to include tabular information from a dataset or table
> into the graphics device?
> Is there a better/more correct way to output tables and graphics to a single
> file?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Richie

The most general approach I've found is to use LaTeX, pre-processing the
graphic to insert a table, creating a new ps or pdf file at a desired
marker symbol you have put into the graphic.  Details especially for
Linux users are at http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/PsFrag.  If using
Windows and you are comfortable installing and using Perl, the
instructions are also helpful.

Frank