[R] How to dump plots as bas64 strings?

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 5 19:27:10 CET 2009

Patrick Meyer wrote:
> Here's the solution I'm using now, but it is not very "clean":
>
> png("out.png")
> plot(c(1,2,3))
> dev.off()
>
> system("base64 -w0 out.png > out.base64")
> b64txt <- readLines(file("out.base64","rt"))
>
> It would be nice to have an internal solution, even if this exactly does
> what I want.

I'm not certain which bit of this you are referring to when you say
"internal".  It would be covenient to have graphics devices be able to
write to a buffer as well a  file and it wouldn't be terribly difficult
to do, but hasn't been a big enough problem so far.

As far calling the executable base64, why not use the function
in either the caTools or RCurl packages.

  D.

> Patrick
>
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Patrick Meyer <paterijk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> My question might sound awkward, but I am looking for a way to somehow
>>> convert a plot in R into a base64 string.
>>>
>>> Here's an idea, but it is not at all satisfying.
>>>
>>> 1. write the plot to the harddisk:
>>> png("toto.png")
>>> plot(c(1,2,3))