[R] RES: R on netbooks et al?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Mar 5 20:41:17 CET 2009

Leandro Marino wrote:
> I use it on an ASUS EEE 701 PC! It works with some limitation,
> because this model have only 512mb of RAM. But it is working fine.
> The OS is Windows XP.

Ditto, except that I put Ubuntu Eee on my 701.  (Since renamed "Easy
Peasy".... http://www.geteasypeasy.com/)

A nice thing about using Ubuntu is that R and a lot of common R packages
are in the standard repositories.  Start with "apt-get install
r-cran-base", and work from there with packages discovered via
"apt-cache search r-cran".  Only thing I wish is that they'd update to R
2.8.1...the repository still only has 2.7.2.