[R] R editor that will work with Rcmdr

Michael Bibo michael_bibo at health.qld.gov.au
Fri Mar 6 11:20:01 CET 2009

John Sorkin <jsorkin <at> grecc.umaryland.edu> writes:

> R 2.8.1
> Windows XP
> Fedora Linux.
>
> I would like a suggestion for an editor that will help format my R code that
can be used with Rcmdr. Is there
> anything I need to know about running or installing an editor when using
Rcmdr? I run R on both Windows and
> Linux (Fedora).
> Thank you,
> John

Hi John,

>From my experience, while (X)Emacs + ESS or JGR work with Rcmdr under Linux,
there can be problems using either of these in conjunction with Rcmdr under
Windows.  From John Fox's own 'An Introduction to ESS + XEmacs for Windows
Users of R': "The Rcmdr package does not run reliably under XEmacs/ESS for
Windows."  On Windows XP at least, this still seems to be the case - for me it
always ends up crashing R.
Under Windows, Tinn-R and Notepad++ with NppToR
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/npptor/) work fine alongside Rcmdr, but both of
them are Windows only.  Other IDEs such as Eclipse I haven't tested.

Hope this is helpful,

Michael Bibo
Queensland Health