[R] R and vim (gvim) on ubuntu

achristoffersen achristoffersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:48:14 CET 2009

Dear all -
I do fret this to be a revealing beginner question - fortunately, this
mailing list have been good to me in the paste .-)

I am looking for a good R editor/environment in ubuntu. To that end, I have
decided to dive into gvim as the modality offered here seems to make sense
for editing.

I want to use Johannes Ranke's vim r-plugin, but I can't make it work.

I have the plugin installed, and this confirmed "vim-addons"
I set the new file to r :"set ft=r"
I open a terminal and start R "R"
Then when I press F2 in vim - nothing happens (some text flashes at the
botom of the screen - but I can't read it. It's not an error messages
though)
when I try to run an R command eg, "x <- rnorm(100,10,5)" vim returns this
error:
"~/.pipe" E212: can't open file for wirting"

What have I done wrong? I suspect maybe it's got something to do the
funnel.pl  - but I have installed the script from Johannes Ranke's
repository - so there should be no need to install funnel.pl?

Any help much appreciated

Sincerely, Andreas