[R] Download and Import xls files in R

Domenico Vistocco vistocco at unicas.it
Sat Mar 7 11:12:51 CET 2009

Jacopo Anselmi wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am trying to solve a problem: I have approximately 100 Excel
> spreadsheets each with approximately 4 sheet each that I would like to
> download and import in R for analysis.
>
> Unfortunately i realized (i also sent an email to the author or
> xlsReadWrite() ) that the read.xls() doesn't allow to import the file in
> R from internet.
> Here it is the the code:
>
>  ciao<-read.xls("http://www.giustizia.it/statistiche/statistiche_dap/det/seriestoriche/corsi_proff.xls")

Two candidate solutions:
1. use the read.xls function in the gdata package (where the file can be
a url)
2. use the download.file function to download the file and then use the
read.xls function in the xlsReadWrite function

Ciao,
domenico

PS:
please, check the setting of your mail program (I see three times the
same mail)