[R] using a noisy variable in regression (not an R question)

Juliet Hannah juliet.hannah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:49:11 CET 2009

Hi, This is not an R question, but I've seen opinions given on non R
topics, so I wanted
to give it a try. :)

How would one treat a variable that was measured once, but is known to
fluctuate a lot?
For example, I want to include a hormone in my regression as an
explanatory variable. However, this
hormone varies in its levels throughout a day. Nevertheless, its levels differ
substantially between individuals so that there is information there to use.

One simple thing to try would be to form categories, but I assume
there are better ways to handle this. Has anyone worked with such data, or could
anyone suggest some keywords that may be helpful in searching for this
topic. Thanks
for your input.

Regards,

Juliet