[R] using a noisy variable in regression (not an R question)

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 7 19:21:55 CET 2009

If you form categories, you add even more error, specifically, the
variation in the distance between each number and the category
boundary.

What's wrong with just including it in the regression?

Yes, the measure X1 will account for less variance than the underlying
variable of real interest (T1, each individual's mean, perhaps), but
X1 could still be useful in two ways.  One, it might be a significant
predictor of the dependent variable Y despite the error.  Two, it
might increase the sensitivity of the model to other predictors (X2,
X3...) by accounting for what would otherwise be error.

What you cannot conclude in this case (when you measure a predictor
with error) is that the effect of (say) X2 is not accounted for by its
correlation with T1.  Some people try to conclude this when X2 remains
a significant predictor of Y when X1 is included in the model.  The
trouble is that X1 is an error-prone measure of T1, so the full effect
of T1 is not removed by inclusion of X1.

Jon

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)