[R] popular R packages

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 8 10:46:39 CET 2009

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 18:04:24 -0500, David Winsemius wrote :

[ Snip ... ]
> Nonetheless, I do think the relative numbers of package downloads might
> be interpretable, or at the very least, the basis for discussions over
> beer.

*Anything* might be the basis for discussions over beer (obvious
corollary to Thermogoddamics' second principle....).

More seriously : I don't think relative numbers of package downloads can
be interpreted in any reasonable way, because reasons for package
download have a very wide range from curiosity ("what's this ?"), fun
(think "fortunes"...), to vital need tthink lme4 if/when a consensus on
denominator DFs can be reached :-)...). What can you infer in good faith
from such a mess ?

					Emmanuel Charpentier