[R] Problem with capabilities() in R2-8.1

Marcus, Jeffrey Jeffrey.Marcus at nuance.com
Mon Mar 9 23:07:41 CET 2009

I just installed R 2.8.1 on Windows XP. When I ran the "source" command,
I got the error:

Error in capabilities("iconv") :
  1 argument passed to .Internal(capabilities) which requires 0

I looked at the code for source and it indeed has a call to
capabilities("iconv")

if (capabilities("iconv")) {
            if (identical(encoding, "unknown")) {
                enc <- utils::localeToCharset()
                encoding <- enc[length(enc)]
            }

So then I ran capabilities itself:

>capabilities("iconv")
Error in capabilities("iconv") :
  1 argument passed to .Internal(capabilities) which requires 0

I made sure that I hadn't by accident aliased either "source" or
"capabilities" by doing
find("source")

find ("capabilites")

and both came back with package::base.