[R] Changing factor to numeric

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Mar 10 08:04:36 CET 2009

 From ?factor:

The interpretation of a factor depends on both the codes and the
"levels" attribute. Be careful only to compare factors with the same set
of levels (in the same order). In particular, as.numeric applied to a
factor is meaningless, and may happen by implicit coercion. To transform
a factor f to its original numeric values, as.numeric(levels(f))[f] is
recommended and slightly more efficient than as.numeric(as.character(f)).

Uwe Ligges