[R] help structuring mixed model using lmer()

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 21:08:21 CET 2009

Hi Simon,

Have a look at Chap. 11 of "An Introduction to R" (one of R's manuals),
which explains the different ways of specifying models using formulae.

Briefly, y ~ x1 * x2 expands to y ~ x1 + x2 + x1:x2, where the last term
(interaction term) amounts to a test of slope. Normally you would read its
significance from F/chisq/p-value. Many practitioners consider the L.Ratio
test to be a better option. For the fixed effects part in lmer() do:

mod1 <- y ~ x1 + x2  == y ~ x1 + x2
mod2 <- y ~ x1 * x2  == y ~ x1 + x2 + x1:x2

anova(mod1, mod2)

This will tell you if you need to worry about interaction or whether slopes
are parallel.

Regards, Mark.

Simon Pickett-4 wrote:

> Cheers,
>
> Actually I was using quasipoisson for my models, but for the puposes of my
> example, it doesnt really matter.
>
> I am trying to work out a way of quantifying whether the slopes (for
> years)
> are covary with habitat scores.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it isnt possible
> do
> to that using a glm approach. I think I have to run separate models for
> each
> site, calculate the gradient, then do a lm with gradient explained by
> habitat score....
>
> Thanks, Simon.
>

>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Simon Pickett <simon.pickett at bto.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is partly a statistical question as well as a question about R, but
>>> I am stumped!
>>
>>> I have count data from various sites across years. (Not all of the sites
>>> in the study appear in all years). Each site has its own habitat score
>>> "habitat" that remains constant across all years.
>>
>>> I want to know if counts declined faster on sites with high "habitat"
>>> scores.
>>
>>> I can construct a model that tests for the effect of habitat as a main
>>> effect, controlling for year
>>
>>> model1<-lmer(count~habitat+yr+(1|site), family=quasibinomial,data=m)
>>> model2<-lmer(count~yr+(1|site), family=quasibinomial,data=m)