[R] compile under Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex) - Thanks

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Mar 11 19:07:05 CET 2009

 Thanks for the good replies.

 1. "build-essential" -- this is likely the essential thing that I forgot.  I
tend to leave running machines alone (for years at a time) so forget things like
this.  My laptop is Fedore core 6 I think, when the prior laptop died.  I did
remember bin-utils though.

  2. "See the R Admin manual".  I read that pretty closely looking for hints.
Perhaps the build-essential hint would be a good addition to the manual.

  3. "'r-sig-debian' for Ubuntu questions":  I never make that connection.

  4. "Current binaries for R can be found at..."  Also a good plan. But I may
need to build R-devel (for the ShortRead package in bioconductor, to deal with
Solexa sequencer data) so I wanted to work the bugs out.

  5. "It worked for me"  Useful too, since it told me it had to be something
SIMPLE that I had overlooked.

   Thanks to Frank Harrell, Berwin Turlach, Chuck Taylor, Dirk Eddelbuettel,
Roland Rau, Kjetil Halvorsen.

   	Terry Therneau