[R] portable R editor

Werner W. pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 12 21:33:23 CET 2009

Unfortunately, the suggested way with JauntePE does not work completely.

Maybe I have found a better alternative now:
There is a little free application by Sysinternals (now owned by MS) which
can create junction points, i.e. a system link to a directory under Windows.
It is available here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

In my setup, I have under the root directory of the USB stick one dir called
"Programs" and one called "Application Data". I have copied the Tinn-R
folder to Programs and the ini files from the user profile into Application
Data. In Programs\Tinn-R I have created a batch file "startTinn-R.bat" with
this content:
REM START
junction %APPDATA%\Tinn-R %CD%"\..\..\..\Application Data\Tinn-R"
@start .\bin\Tinn-R
REM END
and copied the junction.exe into this dir as well.

When I double click this bat file, a link to the ini files on the USB stick
is created in the user's application data directory in the local harddrive
of the PC used. But note that this does not work if there exists a Tinn-R
directory already in the user's application data dir in local harddrive.

All the best,
  Werner