[R] Selecting / creating unique colours for behavioural / transitional data

Ross Culloch ross.culloch at dur.ac.uk
Fri Mar 13 10:20:01 CET 2009

Dear all,

This seems like a simple problem but i've searched the help files and tried
various options but failed, so apologies in advance for asking what i'm sure
is an easy thing to do!

In short, I have displayed behavioural data using the TraMineR package such
that there is a colour change between the transition of behaviours, however,
all the methods that i have used thus far have given me gradual changes in
colour such that it is impossible to tell the difference from several of the
behaviours. I have looked in the help section here, and looked at various
books and help files in R, but most seem intent on gradual changes in colour
for heat, terrain, depth, etc - i may not be looking in the correct places,
or perhaps i don't know what i'm looking for, exactly.

The code below is the closest i can get to colours being not too similar,
but it's still hard to tell apart:

col <- rainbow(15,start = 0, end = 1, gamma = 0.5)

What i ideally want to do is create a palette with random colours that are
no where near one another so that i can tell the 15 different behaviours
apart - is this possible?

If anyone can help i would be most greatful!

Best wishes,

Ross