[R] Selecting / creating unique colours for behavioural / transitional data

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:01:42 CET 2009

One option for creating your own palette is

#install.packages('epitools')
mycols <- colors.plot(locator = TRUE)

then left-click on 15 colors of your liking and then right-click 'Stop'.

mycols will be a data.frame with the third column containing the color names.

Kingsford

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Ross Culloch <ross.culloch at dur.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Kingsford,
>
> Thanks for the reply - some of the sets/palettes in the RColorBrewer are
> ideal, but the problem with the problem i have is that they only go up to 12
> colours, and i need 15 colours - so i assume the only thing i can do is
> create my own palette, but i'm having limited success in trying to work out
> how to do this.
>

> Kingsford Jones wrote:
>>
>> Try
>>
>> #install.packages('RColorBrewer')
>> example(brewer.pal, pack='RColorBrewer')
>>

>> hth,
>> Kingsford Jones
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Ross Culloch <ross.culloch at dur.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> This seems like a simple problem but i've searched the help files and
>>> tried
>>> various options but failed, so apologies in advance for asking what i'm
>>> sure
>>> is an easy thing to do!
>>>
>>> In short, I have displayed behavioural data using the TraMineR package
>>> such
>>> that there is a colour change between the transition of behaviours,
>>> however,
>>> all the methods that i have used thus far have given me gradual changes
>>> in
>>> colour such that it is impossible to tell the difference from several of
>>> the
>>> behaviours. I have looked in the help section here, and looked at various
>>> books and help files in R, but most seem intent on gradual changes in
>>> colour
>>> for heat, terrain, depth, etc - i may not be looking in the correct