[R] Sorting rows of a matrix independent of each other

Kevski ps at kevski.com
Fri Mar 13 16:14:39 CET 2009

Oh, this seemed so simple (and I'm sure the answer will be, as usual, so
thanks in advance for enlightening me). I need to sort each row of a matrix
independent of the others. For example,

> test <- matrix(c(8,7,1,2,6,5,9,4,3),nrow=3)
> test
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    8    2    9
[2,]    7    6    4
[3,]    1    5    3

I can get each row sorted well enough.

> sort(test[1,])
[1] 2 8 9
> sort(test[2,])
[1] 4 6 7
> sort(test[3,])
[1] 1 3 5

Now I just need the resulting matrix:
2 8 9
4 6 7
1 3 5

But when I try to turn this into something more automated, I only get the
last row.

> for(e in 1:3) sorted <- sort(test[e,])
> sorted
[1] 1 3 5

I've tried various incarnations of rbind around my loop, but to no avail.
I've search my books and the forums, and I'm sure there is some nifty R
function out there, but I can't seem to find it and/or apply it correctly.

Cheers,
Kev-