[R] Using format to add leading zeroes

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Fri Mar 13 23:17:23 CET 2009

I have a numerical vector which contains a (poorly) formatted time
column, which, in theory, should be HHMM, but was distributed as an
integer, so, for 12:15 am, it is saved as "15" (e.g. HHMM = 0015 with
the zeroes stripped).  I'm trying to use this in conjunction with
strptime, but I'm thinking because each time is an integer ranging from
1 to 4 digits, I probably need to coerce this vector using "format"
first to add back the leading zeroes -- but I can't seem to figure out
the specific parameters to send to format().  Thoughts?  I could use the
pad0 function in PBSmodelling, but it seems to only work on one item at
a time (not an entire vector) so I thought I'd ask here if there's an
easy trick to getting where I need to go using on the base package and
not needing to write a for-next loop to implement pad0.

Thanks!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD