[R] Ever see Process R exited abnormally with code 4?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:25:19 CET 2009

I'm on a Windows XP student's computer.  When we get busy and start
running R stuff, it hangs at random with the hour glass showing, but
the system's cpu is not running at 100%.  We sit and watch for a
while, and then try alt-ctl-delete to kill the not responding program.
 In this case, I'm able to produce the problem almost every time by
starting Rcmdr and running some graphs.

I'm suspecting that there may be some hardware problem, possibly
overheating, but have no evidence for that guess.  I can't find the
error codes in the R docs (sorry).

I think the following supplies the information that the posting guide asks for:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
> library(Rcmdr)

Rcmdr Version 1.4-7

Attaching package: 'Rcmdr'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:tcltk :

	 tclvalue

> x<- rnorm(100)
This is mgcv  1.5-0 . For overview type `help("mgcv-package")'.

Process R exited abnormally with code 4 at Fri Mar 13 17:19:47 2009

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science