[R] How to install R-2.8.1 on AIX

Darin A. England england at cs.umn.edu
Sat Mar 14 16:10:05 CET 2009

Search the R mailing list archive for other reports of success on
AIX. I compiled a 64-bit version of R-2.8.0 successfully with the
following options:

export OBJECT_MODE=64
export CC="xlc_r -q64"
export CFLAGS="-O -qstrict"
export CXX="xlC_r -q64"
export CXXFLAGS="-O -qstrict"
export F77="xlf_r -q64"
export AR="ar -X64"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/lpp/X11/include/X11"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
export MAKE=gmake

and have been using it for some time. Unfortunately, I still do not
have it working with libiconv. Also, on AIX the following
environment variable expands the memory limit for a process to 2GB

export LDR_CNTRL="MAXDATA=0x80000000"

which is important for running R. Check the IBM documentation. I
think you can try MAXDATA=0xC0000000 to expand to 3GB.

Darin