[R] plotting question

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 23:00:27 CET 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 5:46 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2009, at 5:14 PM, David Kaplan wrote:
>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I have two questions.  I have a data set that is arranged in the
>> example below.  I wish to obtain a plot of the performance of each
>> ID over Year on v1.  It's not clear how I set this up?
>> ID  Year   V1  1   1980    1  1   1981    2 1   1982    6
>> 1   1983    4
>> 2   1980    5
>> 2   1981    5
>> 2   1982    5
>> 2   1983    6

# oops, also need to preface with:
library(lattice)

> ?xyplot
> ?formula

Could also do it separately for each ID group. Something like
(untested):

with(subset(dta, ID==1), plot(Year,V1, pch=3) )
with(subset(dta, ID==2), points( Year, V1, pch=5))

   # but that could get tiring for many ID

>> Also,I would like to transpose the data to have the variable across
>> the columns such as
>>
>> ID   v1980   v1981 v1982 v1983
>> 1       1       2      6   4
>> 2       5       5      5   6
>
> ?reshape

 > reshape(dta, idvar="ID", timevar="Year",direction="wide")
   ID V1.1980 V1.1981 V1.1982 V1.1983
1  1       1       2       6       4
5  2       5       5       5       6

> # or
> require(reshape)
> ?cast
>

>> Is there a straightforward way to do this in R?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> David

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories