[R] readline() is reading the entire line and not just the user input

Farrel Buchinsky fjbuch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:44:51 CET 2009

I just discovered readline to provide user input. It is working as one
would expect in Rgui but not in Rterm. In Rterm it reads the entire
line of code not just the user input. How do I fix and what is the
issue that I should read about?

Here is my two line script:
ANSWER <- readline(prompt="Are you a satisfied R user? ")
ANSWER
So under RGUI one gets the following
> ANSWER <- readline(prompt="Are you a satisfied R user? ")
Are you a satisfied R user? yes
> ANSWER
[1] "yes"

Under RTERM one gets
> ANSWER <- readline(prompt="Are you a satisfied R user? ")yes
Are you a satisfied R user?
> ANSWER
[1] "ANSWER <- readline(prompt=\"Are you a satisfied R user? \")yes"

So I tried to hit enter after I saw the line in the terminal and this
is what I got:

> ANSWER <- readline(prompt="Are you a satisfied R user? ")
Are you a satisfied R user?
> ANSWER
[1] "ANSWER <- readline(prompt=\"Are you a satisfied R user? \")"

My R environment: Windows XP with service pack 3; R 2.8.1, tinn-R 2.2.0.2

Farrel Buchinsky