[R] Requesting assistance installing ESS for R on Redhat

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Mar 17 21:29:58 CET 2009

I'm moving my R applications to a Redhat OS and want to install ESS.

My sys admin has downloaded the rpm (emacs-common-ess-5.3.8-1.fc8.src.rpm),
but when he tried to do the install he rec'd a number of warnings.  We are
not sure if the warnings are telling us that the installation did not occur
or if other issues are unresolved.  We have attempted to find the ESS
executable with no luck, Which directory would this normally be?

Also Is it more advisable to work with the ess-5.3.11.tgz file and install
this instead of the *.rpm release?

If  you could help identify different issues related to installing this
package I'd really appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282