[R] permutations in R

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 18 05:37:06 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Gavin Simpson <gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 18:43 -0400, Stavros Macrakis wrote:
>> ... no way to find relevant functions, and no way of knowing which one to use if there is more than one.

> That is what the Task Views are meant to address, for discrete subject areas.

Thanks for the information about Task Views -- I was completely
unaware of this effort, which looks very valuable.

Shouldn't it be linked from somewhere in the 'documentation' section
of r-project.org?

Since it was not, I was unaware of the master CRAN documentation page
(http://cran.r-project.org/) -- and I still don't know how to get to
this page from the R-project home page.  The only link to CRAN info on
the R-project home page is entitled "Download"; when you click on
CRAN, you get a list of mirror sites.  If you then click on any
particular mirror site, you get a page (e.g.
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/) which talks about downloading
binaries and source. On clicking Software/Packages, you get to a page
with an alphabetical list of a large number of packages, which finally
mentions CRAN Task Views.  It's a pity that such valuable information
is so hard to find in the site.  It would be useful to add better
"information scent" to the various links, and also to flatten the
hierarchy a bit.

Thanks again for the pointer.

            -s