[R] ANOVA and TukeyHSD disagrees?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Mar 20 22:07:52 CET 2009

On 21/03/2009, at 12:50 AM, Fredrik Karlsson wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Sorry for posting a borderline statistical question on the list,
> but hte
> SPSS people around me just stares at me blankly when refering to
> tests with
> any term other than ANOVA and post-hoc. I would appreciate any
> insight on
> how this all is possible:
>
> I have a model fitted by aov() stored in "ppdur", which gives this
> result
> when using ANOVA:

	<snip>

> As you can see, I don't get a significant p-value for this interaction
> effect  anymore. How could that be?

	How?  Well it just could.  That's the way with statistics.  Remember
	you're not talking about things being definitely true, you're talking
	about there being ``significant'' evidence that they're true.  This
	can lead to apparent paradoxes.

	A simple example of such ``paradoxes'' arises in the context of
	multiple comparisons.  In a one-way anova these might show you that
	level A is ``the same as'' level B, and level B is ``the same as''
	level C, but nevertheless level A is *different from* level C.

	This is just saying that we have *evidence* that level A is different
	from level C.  Ergo it follows, as doth the night follow the day,
	that level B must differ either from level A or from level C, or
	both.  There just isn't enough information in the data to decide
	which of the possibilities is true.  A larger data set would be able
	to ``make the decision''.

	Your example of multiple comparison results ``contradicting'' the
	anova results is not an unheard of phenomenon.  I like to illustrate
	what's going on via the diagram shown in the attached pdf file.

	Think of the null hypothesis of ``no difference between the levels''
	being rejected whenever the sample falls outside of a certain
enclosure.
	In the diagram the circle represents the enclosure corresponding to the
	anova test; the square represents the enclosure corresponding to the
	multiple comparisons test.  If the sample lands outside both the circle
	and the square, then both tests reject the null.  But it can happen,
	rarely but not too rarely, that the sample lands inside one of the bits
	of the circle that stick out beyond the square.  In this case the
multiple
	comparisons test will say that there are differences, but the anova
test
	will say there are none.  Alternatively, the sample could land in
one of
	the corners of the square that stick out beyond the circle.  In this
case
	the anova test will say that there are differences, but the multiple
comparisons
	test will find none.

	That's just All Part of the Rich Tapestry of Life when you do
statistical
	hypothesis testing.

	BTW don't take the circle and the square too literally.  They are just
	illustrative analogies; don't try to interpret them in terms of what's
	really going on in the actual hypothesis testing mechanism.

	HTH.

		cheers,

			Rolf Turner

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com