[R] Plotting with plot()

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 24 00:38:51 CET 2009

Satindra Chakravorty wrote:
> I am trying to use the plot() function in R but can't seem to generate any
> plots.  I am running R version 2.7.1 on a server machine to which I am
> remotely connected on a Linux platform.
>
> I typed
>> plot(trees$volume)
> as a test and got back the ">" prompt with no plot in my current window or
> in any other window.
>
> I read in another post on this list about opening a graphics device with
> x11().  I tried that and got an ERROR message:
> Error in X11....
>    unable to start device X11
> In x11() : unable to open connection to X11 display ' '.
>
> Please let me know what I should do.

Either look for Rplots.pdf in your current remote directory (after
leaving R), or make sure that you have an X11 display to which R can
connect and you can view remotely. The latter depends on how you are
connected and from which kind of system. If you are using SSH from
another Linux system running X11, it could be as simple as remembering
the -Y option to ssh. If you are running Windows, things are more
complicated (VNC is one option).