[R] If statement generates two outputs

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Mar 24 01:11:19 CET 2009

 >From: Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk_at_idi.ntnu.no>
 >Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:58:49 +0100

 >just for fun, you could do this with multiassignment, e.g., using the
 >(highly experimental and premature!) rvalues:

 >    source('http://miscell.googlecode.com/svn/rvalues/rvalues.r')
 >if (TRUE)

 >       c(df1, df2) := list(4:8, 9:13)

 >    dput(df1)
 >    # 4:8
 >    dput(df2)
 >    # 9:13

-------
Now THAT's what I call an overloaded operator!   ^_^

But seriously:  can someone explain to me what's going on in the
rvalues.r code?  I tried a simple experiment, replacing ":=" with a
"colec" in the code, and of course the line

c(df1, df2) colec list(4:8, 9:13)

just gives me a "syntax error" response.   Clearly I need a pointer to
some documentation about how the colon and equals sign get "special
treatment somewhere inside R.

thanks
Carl