[R] r online

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 24 12:59:56 CET 2009

On 24 March 2009 at 12:06, Thomas Steiner wrote:
| Hi,
| I'd like to execute simple commands and functions in R through a
| website, is there any service like this somewhere?
| I only found http://www.osvisions.com/r-online/ but it does not work
| (last update 2003) and the links to releated websites only give errors
| (if I calculate 7+3).
| Thanks for help & hints,

Please read the R FAQ which has an entire section devoted to this that I
include below, copied and pasted from the txt version of the R
FAQ. Personally, I'd go with Rpad.

Dirk

4 R Web Interfaces
******************

*Rweb* is developed and maintained by Jeff Banfield
<jeff at math.montana.edu>.  The Rweb Home Page
(http://www.math.montana.edu/Rweb/) provides access to all three versions
of Rweb--a simple text entry form that returns output and graphs, a more
sophisticated Javascript version that provides a multiple window
environment, and a set of point and click modules that are useful for
introductory statistics courses and require no knowledge of the R language.
All of the Rweb versions can analyze Web accessible datasets if a URL is
provided.

   The paper "Rweb: Web-based Statistical Analysis", providing a detailed
explanation of the different versions of Rweb and an overview of how Rweb
works, was published in the Journal of Statistical Software
(`http://www.jstatsoft.org/v04/i01/').

   Ulf Bartel <ulfi at cs.tu-berlin.de> has developed *R-Online*, a simple
on-line programming environment for R which intends to make the first steps
in statistical programming with R (especially with time series) as easy as
possible.  There is no need for a local installation since the only
requirement for the user is a JavaScript capable browser.  See
`http://osvisions.com/r-online/' for more information.

   *Rcgi* is a CGI WWW interface to R by MJ Ray <mjr at dsl.pipex.com>.  It
had the ability to use "embedded code": you could mix user input and code,
allowing the HTML author to do anything from load in data sets to enter
most of the commands for users without writing CGI scripts.  Graphical
output was possible in PostScript or GIF formats and the executed code was
presented to the user for revision.  However, it is not clear if the
project is still active.  Currently, a modified version of *Rcgi* by Mai
Zhou <mai at ms.uky.edu> (actually, two versions: one with (bitmap) graphics
and one without) as well as the original code are available from
`http://www.ms.uky.edu/~statweb/'.

   CGI-based web access to R is also provided at
`http://hermes.sdu.dk/cgi-bin/go/'.  There are many additional examples of
web interfaces to R which basically allow to submit R code to a remote
server, see for example the collection of links available from
`http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/StatCompCourse'.

   David Firth (http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/dfirth) has written *CGIwithR*,
an R add-on package available from CRAN.  It provides some simple
extensions to R to facilitate running R scripts through the CGI interface
to a web server, and allows submission of data using both GET and POST
methods.  It is easily installed using Apache under Linux and in principle
should run on any platform that supports R and a web server provided that
the installer has the necessary security permissions.  David's paper
"CGIwithR: Facilities for Processing Web Forms Using R" was published in
the Journal of Statistical Software (`http://www.jstatsoft.org/v08/i10/').
The package is now maintained by Duncan Temple Lang
<duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu> and has a web page at
`http://www.omegahat.org/CGIwithR/'.

   Rpad (http://www.rpad.org/Rpad), developed and actively maintained by
Tom Short, provides a sophisticated environment which combines some of the
features of the previous approaches with quite a bit of Javascript,
allowing for a GUI-like behavior (with sortable tables, clickable graphics,
editable output), etc.

   Jeff Horner is working on the R/Apache Integration Project which embeds
the R interpreter inside Apache 2 (and beyond).  A tutorial and
presentation are available from the project web page at
`http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/RApacheProject'.

   Rserve (http://stats.math.uni-augsburg.de/Rserve/) is a project actively
developed by Simon Urbanek.  It implements a TCP/IP server which allows
other programs to use facilities of R.  Clients are available from the web
site for Java and C++ (and could be written for other languages that
support TCP/IP sockets).

   OpenStatServer (http://openstatserver.org/index.html) is being developed
by a team lead by Greg Warnes; it aims "to provide clean access to
computational modules defined in a variety of computational environments
(R, SAS, Matlab, etc) via a single well-defined client interface" and to
turn computational services into web services.

   Two projects use PHP to provide a web interface to R.  R_PHP_Online
(http://steve-chen.net/R_PHP/) by Steve Chen (though it is unclear if this
project is still active) is somewhat similar to the above Rcgi and Rweb.
R-php (http://dssm.unipa.it/R-php/?cmd=home) is actively developed by
Alfredo Pontillo and Angelo Mineo and provides both a web interface to R
and a set of pre-specified analyses that need no R code input.

   webbioc (http://www.bioconductor.org/) is "an integrated web interface
for doing microarray analysis using several of the Bioconductor packages"
and is designed to be installed at local sites as a shared computing
resource.

   Finally, Rwui (http://rwui.cryst.bbk.ac.uk) is a web application to to
create user-friendly web interfaces for R scripts.  All code for the web
interface is created automatically.  There is no need for the user to do
any extra scripting or learn any new scripting techniques.