[R] read in large data file (tsv) with inline filter?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 24 13:12:46 CET 2009

Hi David,

On 23 March 2009 at 15:09, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
| On Monday 23 March 2009, David Reiss wrote:
| > I have a very large tab-delimited file, too big to store in memory via
| > readLines() or read.delim(). Turns out I only need a few hundred of those
| > lines to be read in. If it were not so large, I could read the entire file
| > in and "grep" the lines I need. For such a large file; many calls to
| > read.delim() with incrementing "skip" and "nrows" parameters, followed by
| > grep() calls is very slow. I am aware of possibilities via SQLite; I would
| > prefer to not use that in this case.
| >
| > My question is...Is there a function for efficiently reading in a file
| > along the lines of read.delim(), which allows me to specify a filter (via
| > grep or something else) that tells the function to only read in certain
| > lines that match?
| >
| > If not, I would *love* to see a "filter" parameter added as an option to
| > read.delim() and/or readLines().
|
| How about pre-filtering before loading the data into R:
|
| grep -E 'your pattern here' your_file_here > your_filtered_file
|
| alternatively if you need to search in fields, see 'awk', and 'cut', or if you
| need to delete things see 'tr'.
|
| These tools come with any unix-like OS, and you can probably get them on
| windows without much effort.

Also note that read.delim() and friends all read from connections, and 'piped
expressions' (in the Unix shell command sense) can provide a source.

That way you can build an ad-hoc filter extension by running readLines() over
a pipe() connection.  Consider this trivial example of grepping out Section
headers from the R FAQ.  We get everything double because of the Table of
Contents and the actual section headers:

R> readLines( pipe("awk '/^[0-9+] / {print $1, $2, $3}' src/debian/R/R-alpha.20090320/doc/FAQ") )
 [1] "1 Introduction " "2 R Basics"      "3 R and"         "4 R Web"
 [5] "5 R Add-On"      "6 R and"         "7 R Miscellanea" "8 R Programming"
 [9] "9 R Bugs"        "1 Introduction " "2 R Basics"      "3 R and"
[13] "4 R Web"         "5 R Add-On"      "6 R and"         "7 R Miscellanea"
[17] "8 R Programming" "9 R Bugs"

The regexp is simply 'digits at start of line followed by space' which skips
subsections like 1.1, 1.2, ...

Hth, Dirk